- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 heaping Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. chicken base*
- 2 (28 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. dried basil about 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves and chop
- 1/2 tsp. pepper more if needed TT
- 1/2 tsp. salt more if needed TT
- milk if needed to thin to desired consistency
- Melt butter in saucepan. Once melted add garlic and sauté for a minute or two. Stir in flour and make a roux.
- Once roux is formed, slowly pour in half and half, stirring as you pour. Stir consistently until it begins to thicken.
- Stir in chicken base, diced tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar, basil, pepper and salt. Stir until heated through. If needed add milk to soup to thin it out to desired consistency
I could not wait to try this recipe. I already have a tomato basil soup recipe, but felt like it was missing the mark a little. Sadly this recipe as is also misses that mark. I will explain. First off the recipe calls for diced tomatoes. I didn't want chunks of tomato in my soup so I threw the tomatoes in my food processor, and made them nice and smooth! They had a different flavor & texture than the tomato puree so I would still you both.